Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Flooding Rains

I know I know I haven’t let up about the weather for ages. Trevor reckons I’m obsessed somewhat about the weather these days. If truth be told I am but that is mainly due in part to building our house – I just want some sunny days is all.

Anyway, today wasn’t to be the day…it was a day we had the mother of all rain storms.

It looked promising this morning. I woke up to blue skies with not a cloud to be seen, so it goes without saying that I was happy – happy that we faced a ‘building’ day of no rain. The thrill was short lived. Come 10am the clouds started to roll in and sky went a dreary grey. Over the course of the day the rain stayed away but the clouds kept on coming – continuing to build.

At 4.00pm (right when I was supposed to leave work) the skies opened up and do you think I had an umbrella? Of course not! By the time I got into my car (after my bus ride) the traffic was chaotic and the rain was falling; falling like I haven’t seen in years. There was water everywhere. The gutters simply couldn’t cope with the water. I had the opportunity to see a manhole cover on the side of the road, having lodged lose from the water pressure.

Trevor went for a drove shortly afterwards (he gets all the fun!) and he rang to tell me the water was lapping at Ikea’s carpark and that he was heading down to our new house for a look. About 10 minutes later I get another call, this time telling me that the roads leading to our house are flooded and he’ll have to go the ‘back way’! Even so, going via the back way, there was no direct access to our place. The main access point to our ‘complex’ was blocked…flooded!


(The access road to our complex lies just behind that telegraph pole on the left)

There is a gate at the back of the complex which is kept locked but there for emergencies. This afternoon it was an emergency. They had opened it so there was still access available to those that lived there which is great to know.

Our house is built up so there is no drama there – the whole complex is built up. It overlooks a paddock that well…kinda looked like a sea after this afternoon’s down pour. Trevor joked that we had water front living…right on a canal!

Who would have thought, 3 months ago, that Brisbane, a state in drought, on level 6 water restrictions would be seeing the water it is.

If the drought isn’t over then I have no idea when it ever will be.

Here is some footage Trevor shot while on location (excuse his naughty expletive...oh and his 'hilarious' commentary!)...

4 comments:

Kylie said...

PMSL!!! Love Trev's commentary - it's priceless! As for the rain and flooding - sure, it was fun at first and Qld "needed it", but enough is enough! When is summer going to arrive? Still cracking up at Trev. I think his talents are being wasted at the fruit shop. Maybe he needs to send this audition piece into Today Tonight!!

MrsPfeiff said...

LOL Nic that's my new favourite word (no, not "bus" or "water" or "frigging". You know the one!!

That was a complete crack up...though on a serious note, I can't believe the luck you're having with the rain and even though we've all been in a drought I do hope it presses pause just for a little while, so you can have your brand new home completed soon.

K xxx

Melza said...

ROFL!!! say a big THANK YOU to Trev for making me laugh toay - I really needed it!!! and yes, that ute driver was a bit of a.... well you know, one of those!

Mel x
I really hope the rain eases up for you guys soon. I want the house to be ready for my visit in June!!!

Jessika said...

PMSFL Nic, what a crack up! gotta love trev and his commentary, you have a great husband..

thanks for the laugh i really needed it to, xoxox Jess (hayleybear)