Sunday, January 06, 2008

Day at the Beach

Finally a sunny day…something to smile about!

We headed up to the Sunshine Coast today to visit some friends who were staying up there for the week. We were indeed very happy to have awoken to weather other then rain, wind and clouds. It was delightful to see the sun…the beauty it beholds was starting to slip from my memory, it had been so long.

We headed off nice and early so that we could get a good day in – this wasn’t a good thing given Trevor waltzed home around 2am (later I suspect although he would only tell me 2am). I didn’t get to bed until after midnight because dear little Byron was being a pain in the ‘you know what’!!! I could have pulled my hair out over him last night.

Anyway, I digress. We arrived at the Coast at around 9am. Shortly thereafter we headed to the beach for a swim. It had been ages since I had been to the beach, which is a far cry from my adolescent and teenage years – I loved the beach; spent many a day there sunning it up. The water wasn’t as striking as it would normally be given the terrible weather the Coast has copped of late; it was a brown swirl of sand. Never the less the water was beautiful; a little choppy but beautiful all the same.

I’m embarrassed to say that, until today, Lily and Byron haven’t had the opportunity to go to the beach in the last few months (say 11ish months *bows head in embarrassment*). That made today Lily’s first ‘real’ beach experience. What was her reaction to the water you ask? Hated it; was scared of it; was completely unsure. She was gripping on for dear life. This was a bit of shock with Lily being my water baby and all. I guess it should be expected given waves can be quite intimidating, as can be the sand. Every time we put her in a wave she would crack it. She wasn’t even sure of the sand.



Byron didn’t want a bar of the waves either. He too cracked it (must have been in the air). He was much happier to play with his little boogie board in the storm water runoff. I don’t get it! Anyway, Trevor and I on the other hand loved it. The water was beautiful, the sun was shining. It was so refreshing – just what I needed.

After our morning at the beach we headed back to our friends apartment for lunch and a swim by the pool. What do you know...the kids had a ball in the water. Lily was diving in off the side; smiling at every opportunity – sheer joy for her. She was such a little water baby that other people in the pool were watching her all smiles. Some even made a point of commenting on my little mermaid. Byron had a ball as well.

After lunch and a chat, we headed home. My only major side effect of the day being extremely bad chafing on one of my legs (oh my it hurts!). I think it was caused by a combination of my boardies and the swirl of the sand (I’m telling myself it wasn’t my expanding thighs rubbing together in the wet). Thankfully I have the talc handy and that is soothing it somewhat. Trevor has made a point of laughing at my pain telling me if there’s no blood I shouldn’t complain…apparently he has suffered serious chafing in the past.

Leaving the horrible chafing aside, all in all we had a great day. We plan (being a new year and all) to do stuff like this more often. I guess there is no excuse when you only live 30 minutes from the beach!

In other news…this afternoon I picked up my camera (and other goodies) from mum (thank you mum!). I haven’t really had an opportunity to have a play. As soon as that lens arrives there'll be no stopping me.

No comments: