Friday, March 07, 2008

10 years on.

It was 10 years ago today that Trevor and I first went out on a ‘blind date’. I guess it wasn’t technically a blind date as such because we had crossed paths previous to that. He went to school with the boyfriend (and now husband) of my mate Kate – the one in the pictures with her baby a few entries back.

Anyway, Kate and I worked at McDonalds back in the day. Her then boyfriend used to come in and visit and Trev used to tag along (apparently) which is when he first noticed me (or so I am told). Because he was friends with Kate’s then boyfriend I used to see him around the place (one time being when he was in a rather compromising position blind drunk – if he knew I even mentioned that he would kill me. he he he). Anyway, after some time, and some pressure from Kate we decided to go on a date.

It was a Saturday night and we were going to head out to the movies. I remember hearing his car arrive out the front. It was a hotted up corolla with one loud exhaust (I hated that exhaust and was rather happy when it was stolen a few years later). It was strange, the awkward feelings that accompany getting into a car with someone you hardly know – God I hope my Lily never does that.

I remember there wasn’t anything particularly exciting on at the movies, hence the reason we saw 'Red Corner' staring Richard Gere. For illustrative purposes the plot centred around an American attorney on business in China, ends up wrongfully on trial for murder and his only key to innocence is a female defense lawyer from the country. Hardly a romantic comedy.

There was nothing too exhilarating about our first date – probably much like the first dates of many others – small talk, uncomfortable silence, and just plain awkwardness. I guess it couldn’t have been too bad because we went back out again and again and well…here we are 10 years later, two kids, mortgage and well…there you have it.

Those early years were so much fun. It was full of excitement, learning and happiness. I remember fondly the first time he ever gave me flowers. I was studying hard, as you do when you have exams at uni, when I heard a knock at the door. It was the middle of a working day so I had no idea who it could have been. I opened the door to see Trevor standing there with a bunch of dozen gorgeous red roses; roses for no particular occasion – just because. He had been out and about in my area for some reason I can’t recall and he thought he would drop some flowers around to pep me up from the dreary study session. It was the first time a boy had ever given me such beautiful flowers (or flowers of any kind come to think of it) that I could never part with them. I hung them in my wardrobe upside down in the hope they would dry out just so. They did and to this day, I still have those flowers.

Since 7 March 1998, we’ve travelled a winding road with steep hills, gentle inclines and the longest straights. Sometimes things moved at the speed of lightening and other times it’s felt like we’re out for a Sunday drive. There have been some crashes and repairs but the cars are still running and running strong. Overall, it’s been a journey of love, frustration, tears, happiness and laughter. A journey I would happily take again – but maybe with a few less turns here and perhaps some more reliable tyres.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Congrats on your 10 year milestone!