Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mother's Day...

Today is mother’s day...my 3rd; my mother’s 28th. How exciting!

I love mother’s day, but no more then I did before I was a mother. That may sound strange to some. However, even now, that I am a mother, I still think the day is more important to my mother then it is to me. Not that she thinks it is more important for her, but I feel it is more important for her. In that I mean, it is more important for me to spoil her, then for me to be spoilt. More important for me to do something exciting for her, then it is for something exciting to be done for me. You see, my mother was an orphan (her mother an alcoholic who, for better words 'abandoned' her and her half brother when she was 9).

She was robbed of the joy that I have. The joy in seeing her face [my mother] when she reads that homemade card when we were kids, or that store bought one I searched high and low to find – with the perfect words. The joy on her face when she got that breakfast in bed, or that perfect (or not so perfect gift). The joy in her company on Mother’s Day...

"Happy Mother's Day" means more

Than have a happy day.

Within those words lie lots of things

We never get to say.

It means I love you first of all,

Then thanks for all you do.

It means you mean a lot to me,

And that I honour you.

But most of all, I guess it means

That I am thinking of

Your happiness on this, your day,

With pleasure and with love.


(I didn't write the poem unfortunately, but I don't think I could have put it better myself)


Now that said...I do love mother’s day and the joy that I hope to provide to my children.

Today, I got breakfast in bed (from McDonalds – my request). It was great. Byron ate with me in the bed (there weren’t too many crumbs after the event). He gave me a card, a CD and a beautiful hand made gift from Kindy. It was a cheese cutting board – painted in his design sporting the words "Happy Mother’s Day 2006". Before I was a mother, I guess I could never really understand what the fuss was about with home made gifts and cards. Now there is no need to explain. I would take a home made, treasured gift over anything.

In 2004 (my first mother’s day) I received a white coffee mug with Byron’s little drawings all over it. In 2005 I received a little jewellery box, hand painted by him, with his little hand print on the bottom. I can’t wait for all the future gifts...I will treasure them all.

What was so special today was the thought from Trevor. The thought for the little baby in my belly...it was a card and flower from her. The card read:

"Dear Mummy (as translated by Daddy),

I hope you are having a Happy Mother’s Day. Byron has told me how tops a mummy you are. I can’t wait to meet you in approx 120 days. Think of all the cool things we can do…

U
ntil September,
Love Lilly (t.b.c) xxoo"

(For the record t.b.c means “to be confirmed”)

This card, along with the little flower, just bought those dreaded tears to my eyes. It was such a lovely thought. A real treasure...thank you Trevor xx.
Today we spent the day at home with the family. We had a BBQ at our place (yes Trevor and I did the cooking, but I didn’t mind). In attendance was, my mum and her long time partner and his mother (who is a great grandmother), Trevor’s parents and my sister and her long time boyfriend. Byron had a blast, didn’t see him all afternoon – he was off with the grandparents.
All in all, I had a great day...

No comments: