Monday, May 22, 2006

What a few days…

Saturday, 20 May 2006

My dad recently moved to a new place and as yet I had not visited him. Slack I know, but it is 30 minutes and that’s when there is no traffic. Seeing as my brother was up, it was the perfect time to go; no excuses! So off we went to visit my dad’s new place – my sister, brother, his DF, Ashlie, Trev, Byron and I.

Dad’s place is a little 3 bedroom unit done out nicely. He had bought a lovely new lounge (I won’t lie I was a little jealous ) and lots a new furniture. My only disappointment in the place was the bath...well what some might call a bath, but not me. It was this little square box within the shower – you might have seen them before. I am a sucker for the bath. I can’t wait to get a massive bath tub.

Anyway, moving away from baths! Dad had all the trappings for lunch – chicken, salad, bread rolls and even dessert. It was so cute. The highlight of the visit though, was not inside but out. Do you remember when you were a kid (cast your mind back...it may be harder for some ) and they had those old fashioned cast iron/steel super doper slides? Well dad’s place had one of those.

It’s not often that kids these days get to play on 8 foot slides with no protective barrier down the sides. Actually I don’t think there are any left at public parks – to much of a liability (speaking from a solicitor’s perspective) . Byron had a ball - I have never seen him have so much fun on a slide. We did lay a few ground rules before he got to play: (1) don’t hold on – did you ever cut your hands from the uneven steel under the slide? I didn’t want him to have to get a tetanus shot (2) sitting only (3) no jumping. He took note of the rules most of the time...except when my brother was chasing him and in his haste to get away he did this massive jump half way down the slide ...Oh my god I nearly sh*t myself. Thankfully there were no broken bones, blood or anything else – he made it down safely.


Looking at how much fun he was having made me realise just what the kids of today are missing out on; the sheer thrill of fun. The fun today is so guarded (in many respects for the best). But still, I look back on my childhood and think I came out alright. In fact I never broke a bone in my body, had stiches or the like and we played on fun stuff like the super doper 8 foot unguarded slide! At least he got to experience it once...hopefully he will be able for a few good years to come (at least at my day's place anyway).

Sunday, 21 May 2006

Another family gathering , but this time at my ex-step mother’s place (dad’s ex wife). My brother invited all his old mates over for a BBQ. It was a great day. More food and a few drinks; well one wine for me.

Monday, 22 May 2006

I didn’t really do a whole lot today. Let me see...it is a Monday, my day home with Byron. My brother did come over today for a little while. He bought Byron this little plaster dinosaur; one that you paint. He was so chuffed and wanted to paint straight away. Mean mummy said that he couldn’t paint it until after he had a sleep – great form of bribery . When he woke up from his sleep, he was in the worst mood ever...he just cried and cried for no reason. I had to just leave him on the kitchen floor and come upstairs . Eventually though he snapped out of it. I was seriously thinking about putting him back to bed and making sure he got out on the other side lol.

Anyway, we got his dinosaur out ready to paint. I told him it was made of glass (a little easier to comprehend then plaster). He was so careful! As you can see from the finished product (below) it is very colourful...an original I would say...his first abstract creation.

Moving on with the day...we went out to Lonestar for dinner with the family (man I have eaten so much the last 4 days ) – a birthday treat. It is probably the last time we will all get together until my brother’s wedding at the end of October. Here is my family...

Wow what a few days...a good few days!

No comments: