Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Hard of Hearing!

16/05/2006, 10:01 PM

Yesterday whilst I was at the computer Byron was pestering me to go downstairs. After I didn’t respond he said to me "are you hard of hearing" . Huh!!! Then he said it again. Since when does a two and half year old talk like that? What a cheeky mite.

Today, you could say that Byron himself was "hard of hearing". It all started this morning when it took Trevor over half an hour to get him dressed . Despite Trevor’s repeated requests and pleas Byron just refused. There were tears and tantrums all over the place (and they weren’t just from Byron). I did not interfere – well to tell you the truth, I was pretending to be asleep in bed, with a pillow over my head!

According to Trevor Byron was cranky and in a mood – that’s how he woke up. Well it appears that mood didn’t end there...When I picked him up from Kindy this afternoon, what a "shock" to hear that Byron had left his listening ears at home today and was quite a naughty boy. Accordingly to S (his teacher), he wouldn’t listen, was talking constantly, disrupting all the other children and was being smart. Now this doesn’t surprise me, given his antics of this morning.

After I had a long talk to him and explained that what he was doing was wrong (he’s not stupid – he knows he was being ‘naughty’); he said sorry to S and L and indicated that he would bring his listening ears to kindy tomorrow . Guess we will have to wait and see.

It is always embarrassing as a parent to pick your child up from Kindy (or anywhere else for that matter) to hear that they have been 'naughty'. Now don’t get me wrong, Byron is not a 'naughty boy' by nature, but he has his days. I just hope these days are just days and don’t turn into weeks and then months. After many months on a waiting list, I received a call yesterday advising that a spot had opened up for a PPP parenting program. I start in July. Hopefully I will pick up some insightful information to help me along this sometimes frustrating journey of parenthood...


Moving on - I had an antenatal appointment today (my first in 5 weeks) . Everything seems to be going along nicely. According to my doctor’s scales I only weigh 71.5kgs (I don’t have to tell you how much I love her scales). All my measurements seem to be spot on. Baby’s heartbeat was 140 beats and according to her notes was cephalic presentation (lying head down in the uterus).

During the course of the last week or so I have had quite a sore throat. According to the Doctor, I am suffering from Pharyngitis (throat infection) and she prescribed some antibiotics. It is always good to know these things aren't a figment of your imagination.

No comments: