Friday, May 19, 2006

Long lost niece...

Today I saw my little niece for the first time in 9 months (since August 2005). That is a long time in the life of a 15 month old. I was just so shocked when I saw her, because my brother isn’t the kind to email me pictures of her often. Here she is...

I am a little biased but I think she is gorgeous. She has these massive blue eyes that draw you in. She kind of reminds me of my sister when she was young – same petite build and hair - oh and also Pebbles too. I never remembered Byron being so small at that age. She is just so tiny...petite little features, tiny little legs and hands.

I will be honest and say that it does upset me that she lives so far away. She is the only niece (or nephew) that I have and I wish I could shower her with love and affection like my sister does for Byron. My sister and I have discussed this many times before; she being in a better position given she has the nephew who lives closer. She readily admits that she has a special unique relationship with Byron that she just doesn’t have with Ashlie (solely as a result of distance).

I also get down about the fact that she lives so far away for Byron’s sake. She is his only cousin and likely to be so for a long time coming. They were so cute together tonight. He calls her baby Ashlie (to him she is just a baby). Just look at these pictures…

I am grateful that he will have a little sister soon – someone to develop a unique relationship with. Don’t get me wrong he is surrounded by little friends all over the place, but not family...not someone to share the important events of life with. He knows who Ashlie is and was quite content in her company but the frequent contact is a miss. Who knows - maybe it won’t really matter at all that she lives so far away and that he will only see her a few times a year. I guess we will have to wait and see.

No comments: