Sunday, August 26, 2007

Breastfeeding no more!

It's over...I am no longer a breastfeeding mum. I feel sad because it's like a little bit of babyhood is gone, gone for good (or at least until I have number 3).

My goal was to get to 12 months and I guess you could say I did. I'm only 2 days shy of 12 months. So I think it is in order to say...

"Breastfeeding for an entire year!"

Lily stayed at my mother in laws on Friday night so no breastfeed in the morning. I tried her this morning but she wasn't at all interested, which I took as a sign it was over. I didn't really think she was getting much anyway. It was more a comfort thing...a good morning ritual if you will.

After the struggles we had in the beginning I am proud to say I did it! I breast fed her exclusively for 7 months and started a slow wean from then until we were just having a morning feed. It would have been easy to give up in the beginning...it really was tuff and to be honest I was close; close to giving up. Thankfully though, I stuck with it and am so grateful I did.

I often wonder if things would have been different if I hadn't worked full time. Would I have exclusively breastfed her (save for solids of course) or would I have weaned in any event? I guess I will never know. I do get a little bitter and twisted over essentially losing the choice. But hey, that's life these days. Sometimes we don't really have a choice. I'm happy though - I made the choice to stick with it as long as I could. A good choice!

No comments: