Monday, August 27, 2007

This time last year..

27th August 2006

I was on my way to taking Byron to a birthday party when I got a phone call from the hospital advising me, that if I agreed (and the labour ward remained quiet) I could come in that night for my induction as opposed to coming in the following morning. It goes without saying that of course I agreed (alternative; no thank you?I loved being big, puffed-up and uncomfortable).

During the course of Byron's friends birthday party, it started to dawn on me that I was going to be giving birth within the following 24 hours and I started to get a smidgen nervous. I will be honest, the thought of labour was scarier second time around then it was first time around. I have heard that this has something to do with 'knowing what you're in for'. To be truthful though, I think it had more to do with what could go wrong, meeting the baby and all the other stuff. Labour with Byron wasn't really all that bad, thanks to the epidural.

Upon returning from the party I advised Trevor that I was going to be induced (see he never came to the party cause he wasn't 'feeling well' something to do with alcohol!). We also arranged alternative accommodation for Byron. He would be staying at Grandmas and Poppys. Whilst Trevor dropped him off at his parents, I telephoned the hospital to make sure that it was still ok (ie. quiet). I was advised that it was and that I should come in after 8pm, closer to 10pm if I could.

After a few final additions to my bag, Trevor and I left the house. It was the last time I would leave the house as a mother of one. When I would return I would have two kids! Oh My God!!! I would have *gasp* kids!!!

In the hast of everything happening so quickly I never had time to eat dinner so Trevor and I made one quick stop through the McDonalds drive thru for a few cheese burgers and some chips.

We arrived at the hospital at around 9.00pm where I filled out the necessary paper work following which we were taken to the observation room. Whilst at the observation room the baby was monitored for approximately half an hour all looked good in that department. Following the examination I had another internal. It turns out I wasn't as ripe as I may have thought (not to worry now though. I guess it just meant natural labour might have taken a little longer then I would have wished making me somewhat more thankful for the induction).

Within half an hour of the internal I was having the vaginal prostaglandins (gel) again not the most pleasant thing! After the gel was inserted they monitored the baby for another half an hour. During that time I swore I was in labour my back was killing me. It was quiet intense. However, my illusions were shattered when the midwife advised they were just tightenings and would probably disappear within a few hours. Patients very rarely go into natural spontaneous labour after having the gel inserted. It merely ?ripens? and dilates the cervix enough for ones waters to be broken.

After an hour or so I was moved to the ward for the night. I was pleased to see that I had a room to myself. I was told that if all went well I would get my waters broken at approximately 6am the next morning (that didn't leave much time for sleep given it was after 11.30pm when I went to the ward). After Trevor left, I was given some Panadene for the pain (I would like to think of them as contractions), got in my PJs and went to bed (but sleep...well sleep I'm not so sure of).

And the next day...

Well, that will have to wait until tomorrow (or until I have written the next instalment which could be when she turns 2).

No comments: