Thursday, August 09, 2007

Bumps and bruises

I was going to write about marriage and how difficult it is but decided against it. It hurt my brain to continue so I hit delete and here I am talking about bumps and bruises.

Lily has a bump, 2 bruises and 1 scratch on her head as of tonight (it really is a good look). The little muchkin has been in the wars trying to tackle obstacles that are a little to advanced for her. All the offending incidents occurred at kindy this week. She has travelled along for 5 months without a hitch - no bruises, bites, scapes, scratches to make mention. This week however, something changed.

I don't pick the kids up from kindy anymore; that is Trevor's domain. Since I'm not really talking to him at the moment (hence the marriage is hard topic) I haven't really got the full details of what's been happening except for "Lily bumped her head at kindy" and then something about "losing her balance".Come to think of it, I probably wouldn't have got much more out of him if we were 'talking' anyway...I'm, getting side tracked here...where was I...?

At home, she has whacked herself in the head with toys and banged her head onto tops of tables but on the whole, at home she hasn't had too many incidents. She has been ok which makes me feel a little more guilty about kindy i.e. if she was home with me she wouldn't have bumped her head etc. Does that make me a bad mother? Who knows?I guess it is really naive to think that if she is at home she won't injury herself. I mean, I can't always protect her and be there to save the day because in all honesty sometimes I'm not. She is at that inquisitive age where nothing will stand in her way.

I have noticed at home she is getting more enterprising in her endeavours. We have finally succumbed to the gate on the stairs. Because of how the landing is situated and where the gate has to be placed, there remains free for her exploration 3 steps. That's 3 steps she is free to climb. She climbs up and down them all the time. She has figured out that she has to go down the stairs backwards, but then there are times when she forgets. On occasions, she has fallen landing splat on her back on the carpet shaken from fright, but not injured. It's easy to see how that could be different...how she could fall and hurt herself (not necessarily on the stairs but just standing up at the table). I guess it's just the age.

Oh, I just remembered, I am a bad mother! I pinched her little belly buckling her seat belt the other week and the mark is still there . I felt so terrible after I did that especially when I had done the exact same thing to Byron (whose mark remained for weeks). She cried and I could have cried too.

Alas, I have no idea where I am going with this entry. I guess I just wanted to report her clumsiness. Hopefully, there won't be to many more bruises; at least ones that are so visible.

Note...I do plan on asking them myself what she has been up to at kindy and how her injuries arose when I drop her off tomorrow.

ETA...I did ask this morning (Friday) and it seems she was standing up at the little table and lost her balance and fell down hitting her head on one of the little wooden chairs on the way down. Cold pack was applied and lots of kisses and cuddles given - she was fine after that!

No comments: