Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Toothy pegs and more house woes.

This evening while singing one of Lily's new favourite songs?

"Motor boat motor boat goes so slow.
Motor boat motor boat goes so fast,
Motor boat motor boat step on the gas!"

I discovered she has two new toothy pegs popping up at the bottom on either side of the two teeth already there - that makes 8 teeth . She has been pretty good with the whole teething caper although she did wake up a few times this morning (or night which ever you prefer) which required attention.

Byronism of the day...

I ease dropped on Byron's conversation with Grandma this evening (yes I know...terrible mother am I). Anyway, according to Byron we are having a "publical holiday today" .

In other news...

The woes continue with the whole house. I couldn?t have been more excited this morning when I got a phone call from the Council telling me that we never had to lodge a relaxation in the first place because we are building on a private road and we can basically build where we want (you would think someone could have informed us about that to begin with and saved us $440 - some of which, but not all, should be refunded) and they have therefore cancelled our application .

Here I was thinking this solved all our problems. We could just move the house forward another meter and over to the left half a meter and the problem would be solved in relation to the sewer connector issue and we could save $1,500 to boot!

HOW WRONG WAS I!!!

According to the builder it is not so simple because we have signed the contracts already. It is not as simple as drawing up some new amended plans (which takes all of an hour).

Moving aside for just a tick...I would never ever have signed the contracts if I knew there was a potential problem relating to locations of sewerage and drainage. For crying out loud, I didn't even know that the builder was lodging anything to Council in relation to this because if I did, I would have waited for the outcome (the lawyer in me). To say I am p*ssed off is an understatement . I am ropable to say the least. I am angry we were lead to believe the position of the house, relative to the sewer connector was fine. I am angry we weren?t advised there could be a potential problem in that department. FFS this is a multi-conglomerate builder who should have some idea of council regulations seeing as how they do this day in day out.

Now, back to the issue...I was advised today that it wasn't as easy as drawing up new plans. It would be the case of closing the current file, opening a new one and basically starting from scratch with the new, current market costings, more delay etc etc. I literally burst into laughter asking if he was serious. Apparently he was (or at least he thought he was) but being a public holiday he couldn?t double check for me. The conversation was getting a bit fiery towards the end?frustration on both our parts I think.

So, in the space of an hour I went from excited to depressed. It looks like at best, it will cost us at least $1,500 to sort this out and that is going down the route of moving the sewer connector. At this stage, if we choose to go down that track, I am just worried that we are going to get slugged further fees to re-draw up plans to change the location of the sewer connector, which is literally a dot on the sphere. Unfortunately I have to sit on that and wait for more concrete answers which I will hopefully receive tomorrow.

The sagas continue. I won?t build again but I can see how much easier it would be second time around - that is, you would learn from your mistakes.

No comments: