Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Lily and Medical Establishments

I spent today at home with the kids. Well not exactly at home but I wasn’t at work so you get my drift. There was a reason for my day off today – Lily had to have her 18 month old check up and immunisation (at 19 months…my fault time seemed to get away) and a further follow up appointment at the hospital to check on her hydronephrosis.

Today is normally ‘Grandma Day’, so my mother in law came along for the ride which was fantastic because doctors/hospital visits are scary with two kids. Anyway, first up we had Lily’s 18 month check up and chicken pox immunisation. All went well in that department. I have no concerns in relation to her developmentally so it was just to deal with formalities. Lily is doing well at 12.5kgs (just above the 75th percentile)! Her head is huge at 49cms…ok not huge but up there just below the 97th percentile. The doctor said that she is 88cms but at the hospital they said she was 83.5cm…I don’t think she is quite 88cms – that would place her above the 97th percentile. She is tall but not that tall. For the purposes of my record I will leave it at 85cms (I’ll measure her shortly myself) which puts her in the 90th percentile.

She handled her needle like a dream. The darling had a jelly bean in her mouth – it was the only way we could get her to sit on the baby scales - so she was occupied. There were a few tears but they soon disappeared when offered a balloon! The doctor did think she may have had a slight ear infection but nothing that could put a hold on the immunisation (ie. no temperature).

After the doctor we had to rush over to her hospital appointment in the city. In short, I'm pleased to advise that Lily is doing really great and the doctor isn’t concerned about the hydronephrosis given she has been off antibiotics for a while and hasn’t had any infections to speak of. However, there is still a chance infections my develop so we are to look out for high temperatures. She has to undergo another ultrasound this time next year but for now she is doing great.

I hate going to the hospital. Each time I have to go, I have to sit there and look around at all the sick kids or kids with disabilities of all kinds. Each time I walk away from the place, it's with the notion firmly implanted that I'm just so so lucky to have the two healthy, happy children I have!

3 comments:

Andrea said...

What a clever girl Miss Lily is growing up so beautiful (I especially love the pic of the bangles - so girly and cute!) - I'm also really pleased to hear all is well with that big long H word.

Kylie said...

Great news!

MrsPfeiff said...

Yay!! Congrats again mate!! Big hugs and smooches to Lily xxx